Birth: Apr 1, 1282, Bavaria;
Death: Oct 11, 1347; Furstenfeldbruck, Bavaria, Germany;
Is this person your ancestor? If so, you should join the House Empire and work to earn your own noble or royal title.
You could be added to this website showing this person as your ancestor! It's FREE!
Click here to get started.
- Holy Roman Emperor - Dates: 1328-1347
- King of Italy - Dates: 1327-1347
- King of Germany - Dates: 1314-1347
- Count of Hainaut - Dates: 1345-1347
- Count of Holland - Dates: 1345-1347
- Count of Zeeland - Dates: 1345-1347
- Margrave of Brandenburg - Dates: 1320-1323
- Count Palatine of the Rhine - Dates: 1319-1329
- Duke of Bavaria - Dates: 1341-1347
- Duke of Lower Bavaria - Dates: 1340-1341
- Duke of Upper Bavaria - Dates: 1301-1341
Louis IV of Bavaria (also known as Ludwig the Bavarian) of the House of Wittelsbach (April 1, 1282 – October 11, 1347) was duke of Bavaria from 1294/1301 together with his brother Rudolf I, also count of the Palatinate until 1329 and, German king since 1314 and crowned as Holy Roman Emperor in 1328. Louis died on October 11, 1347 when he suffered a stroke during a bear-hunt in Puch near Fürstenfeldbruck. He is buried in the Frauenkirche in Munich.
Louis was a son of Louis II, Duke of Upper Bavaria and Count Palatine of the Rhine, and Mechthild (Matilda), a daughter of King Rudolph I.
. . .
He was first married to Beatrix of Silesia-Glogau. Their children were:
In 1324 he married Margaret of Holland, countess of Hainaut and Holland. Their children were:
- Mathilde (aft. June 21, 1313 – July 2, 1346, Meißen), married at Nürnberg July 1, 1329 Friedrich II, Markgraf of Meißen (d. 1349)
- a child (b. September 1314)
- Anna (c. 1316 – January 29, 1319, Kastl)
- Louis V the Brandenburger (1316–1361), duke of Upper Bavaria, margrave of Brandenburg, count of Tyrol
- Agnes (b. c. 1318)
- Stephen II (1319–1375), duke of Lower Bavaria
- Margarete (1325–1374), married: 1) in 1351 in Ofen Stephen, Duke of Slavonia (d. 1354); 2) 1357/58 Gerlach von Hohenlohe.
- Anna (c. 1326 – June 3, 1361, Fontenelles) married John I of Lower Bavaria (d. 1340)
- Louis VI the Roman (1328–1365), duke of Upper Bavaria, elector of Brandenburg.
- Elisabeth (1329 – August 2, 1402, Stuttgart), married with: 1) Cangrande II della Scala, Lord of Verona (d. 1359) in Verona on November 22, 1350; 2) Count Ulrich of Württemberg (died 1388 in the Battle of Döffingen) in 1362.
- William V of Holland (1330–1389), as William I duke of Lower Bavaria, as William III count of Hainaut
- Albert I of Holland (1336–1404), duke of Lower Bavaria, count of Hainaut and Holland
- Otto V the Bavarian (1340–1379), duke of Upper Bavaria, elector of Brandenburg
- Beatrix (1344 – December 25, 1359), married bef. October 25, 1356 Eric XII of Sweden
- Agnes (Munich, 1345 – November 11, 1352, Munich)
Louis (October 1347 – 1348)
Some or all of the above information was taken from wikipedia.org. To read more, click here.
|See the Family Tree
Duke of Bavaria Louis II
Apr 13, 1229 - Feb 2, 1294
Duchess of Bavaria Matilda
c. 1251 - Dec 23, 1304
|Primary or Last Marriage:
Date: , Place: ,
Status: Marriage, Note: He was first married to Beatrix of Silesia-Glogau
|Holy Roman Empress Beatrix
c. 1292 - Aug 24, 1322
|Duke of Bavaria Stephen II
Great x 20 grandfather
1319 - May 13, 1375
|Margravine of Meissen Matilde of Bavaria
Great x 20 grandmother
aft Jun 21, 1313 - Jul 2, 1349