Birth: Oct 25, 1683, England;
Death: May 6, 1757; England;
Is this person your ancestor? If so, you should join the House Empire and work to earn your own noble or royal title.
You could be added to this website showing this person as your ancestor! It's FREE!
Click here to get started.
- 2nd Duke of Grafton - Dates: 1690-1757
- 3rd Earl of Arlington - Dates: 1723-1757
- Vice-Admiral of Suffolk - Dates: 1705-1757
- Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk - Dates: 1705-1757
- Lord High Steward - Dates: 1714
- Lord Chamberlain - Dates: 1724-1757
- Lord Lieutenant of Ireland - Dates: 1720-1724
- Privy Council, King George I
- Knight of the Garter - Dates: 1721
Charles FitzRoy, 2nd Duke of Grafton PC (25 October 1683–6 May 1757) was an Irish and English politician.
He was born to Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Grafton and Isabella Bennet, 2nd Countess of Arlington. His father was an illegitimate son of Charles II of England and Barbara Villiers, 1st Duchess of Cleveland.
Fitzroy inherited his father's peerages on 9 October 1690. He was Lord High Steward at King George I's coronation. He became a Privy Counsellor in 1715 and a Knight of the Garter in 1721. He also served as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1720 to 1724 and Lord Chamberlain from 1724 until his death. In 1739 he supported the creation of what was to become one of London's most notable charities, the Foundling Hospital. He sat on that charity's original Court of Governors with such fellow Governors as the Duke of Bedford, Lord Vere and the Lord Mayor of London.
He married Lady Henrietta Somerset, daughter of Charles Somerset, Marquess of Worcester and Rebecca Child; they had seven children.
Some or all of the above information was taken from wikipedia.org. To read more, click here.