Birth: c. 1404, England;
Death: Apr 4, 1483; England;
Is this person your ancestor? If so, you should join the House Empire and work to earn your own noble or royal title.
You could be added to this website showing this person as your ancestor! It's FREE!
Click here to get started.
- 1st Viscount Bourchier - Dates: 1446-1483
- 5th Baron Bourchier - Dates: 1433-1483
- 1st Earl of Essex - Dates: 1461-1483
- Knight of the Garter - Dates: 1452
- Lord High Treasurer - Dates: 1455-1456, 1460-1462, 1471-1483
- Justice in the Eyre, south of the Trent - Dates: 1461-1483
Henry Bourchier, 5th Baron Bourchier, 1st Viscount Bourchier, 1st Earl of Essex (c. 1404/c. 1406 -- 4 April 1483), was the eldest son of William Bourchier and Anne Plantagenet. His mother was a granddaughter of Edward III and, through her mother, great-great-granddaughter of Edward I. He was thus a great-grandson of Edward III.
He inherited the title of Lord (or Baron) Bourchier from his cousin Elizabeth on her death in 1433, became 1st Viscount Bourchier in 1446, a Knight of the Garter in 1452, and was finally created Earl of Essex in 1461.
He was Lord High Treasurer from 29 May 1455 - 5 October 1456, 28 July 1460 - 14 April 1462, and 22 April 1471 - 4 April 1483. He also became Justice in Eyre south of the Trent in 1461, holding that title till his death.
Prior to 1426, he married Isabel Plantagenet, another great-grandchild of Edward III (through her father - she was also Edward's great-great-great granddaughter, through her mother). She was elder sister to Richard Plantagenet, and aunt to Richard's two sons, the future Edward IV and Richard III.
Henry and Isabel were parents to at least eleven children.
On his death she did not remarry and died more than a year later.
- William Bourchier, Viscount Bourchier (d. 1480). Married Anne Woodville, daughter of Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers and Jacquetta of Luxembourg. They were parents of Henry Bourchier, 2nd Earl of Essex.
- Henry Bourchier (d. 1462). Married Elizabeth de Scales, Baroness Scales.
- Humphrey Bourchier, 1st Baron Cromwell (d. 14 April 1471). Killed in the Battle of Barnet.
- John Bourchier (d. 1495). Married first Elizabeth Ferrers and secondly Elizabeth Chichelle.
- Edward Bourchier (d. 30 December 1460). Killed in the Battle of Wakefield.
- Thomas Bourchier (d. 1492). Married Isabella Barre.
- Florence Bourchier (d. 1525).
- Fulk Bourchier. Considered to have died young.
- Hugh Bourchier. Considered to have died young.
- Isabella Bourchier. Considered to have died young.
- Laura Bourchier. (b. 1440). Married John, Earl of Devon.
Some or all of the above information was taken from wikipedia.org. To read more, click here.