Birth: Jul 29, 1832, England;
Death: Feb 5, 1922; 19 Hans Place, Chelsea, London, England;
Is this person your ancestor? If so, you should join the House Empire and work to earn your own noble or royal title.
You could be added to this website showing this person as your ancestor! It's FREE!
Click here to get started.
Frances Dora Bowes-Lyon, Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne (née Smith; 29 July 1832 – 5 February 1922) was a British noblewoman. She was the grandmother of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and the great grandmother of the current monarch, Queen Elizabeth II.
Her father was Oswald Smith and her mother was Henrietta Mildred Hodgson.
On 28 September 1853, she married Claude Bowes-Lyon. He later became the 13th holder of the Earldom of Strathmore and Kinghorne following the death of his brother Thomas in 1865. Frances then assumed the title and style of Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne.
Together the couple had 11 children.
She died at 19 Hans Place, Chelsea, London on 5 February 1922. She was buried at Glamis Castle, Angus, the family seat of the Earls of Strathmore and Kinghorne.
- Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne (14 March 1855 - 7 November 1944). He was the father of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, the Queen consort of King George VI and through her, maternal grandfather of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Francis Bowes-Lyon (23 February 1856 - 18 February 1948). Married Lady Anne Catherine Sybil Lindsay, daughter of Alexander Lindsay, 25th Earl of Crawford.
- Ernest Bowes-Lyon (4 August 1858 - 27 December 1891). Married Isobel Hester Drummond, a male-line descendant of James Drummond, 1st Lord Madderty.
- Herbert Bowes-Lyon (15 August 1860 - 14 April 1897).
- Patrick Bowes-Lyon (5 March 1863 - 5 October 1946). A Major of the British Army. He married Alice Wiltshire, daughter of George and Charlotte Wiltshire.
- Constance Frances Bowes-Lyon (1865 - 19 November 1951). Married Robert Francis Leslie Blackburn, son of Robert Blackburn.
- Kenneth Bowes-Lyon (26 April 1867 - 9 January 1911).
- Mildred Marion Bowes-Lyon (1868 - 9 June 1897). Married Augustus Edward Jessop.
- Maud Agness Bowes-Lyon (1870 - 28 February 1941).
- Evelyn Mary Bowes-Lyon (1872 - 15 March 1876).
- Malcolm Bowes-Lyon (23 April 1874 - 23 August 1957). A Lieutenant Colonel of the British Army. Married Winifred Gurdon Rebow, daughter of Hector John Gurdon-Rebow.
Some or all of the above information was taken from wikipedia.org. To read more, click here.